vendredi 18 mars 2011

Music makes the people

When people say they like ‘all sorts of music’, it always makes me think that this probably means some tasty combination of Keane, Coldplay and Craig David.  Maybe even the Lighthouse Family.

However, this statement is probably true of me, too.  An honest shortlist of my all-time favourites would include: PJ Harvey, Leonard Cohen, Nirvana, Le Tigre, Nick Cave, Hole, Evan Dando, Serge Gainsbourg, Debussy, No Doubt, Jason Donovan, Cat Power, Devendra Banhart, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Placebo, Goldfrapp, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Lady Ga Ga, Bat For Lashes, Tori Amos, Joanna Newsom, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Blondie, Lou Reed, Madonna, Viper Suzas, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Frida Hyvonen, Jefferson Airplane, Nico, New York Dolls, The Kills, Lily Allen, Bjork, Vanessa Paradis, Culture Club, Echo and The Bunnymen, REM, Fever Ray, Tom Waits, Shakespears Sister, Kenickie…

The list, like everyone’s, could go on forever.

Here’s some more recent cool stuff I’ve been listening to:

Tied To The Mast
In the interests of full disclosure, I should mention the fact that this is the most recent of my boyfriend’s many bands.  I am also not lying when I say that they are great.  In the same way that Nirvana sounded like The Knack played by Black Sabbath (Kurt’s words, not mine), TTTM sound like The Beatles played by Mudhoney.  They also make really cool videos, with the help of our cinematic friend Krista.  The next one is going to star my actress sister!
Check this out at www.tiedtothemast.co.uk

Perspex Wrecks
This is my friend Jack’s band.  They are properly awesome and Jack is a gen-u-Ine pop star in the making.  He also makes music as HZAKYA.  See them live if you can.  I am wearing one of their T-shirts as I type this!


I am also newly obsessed with the Dead Weather (I’m a bit late to this party I know – it’s that they took a while to grow on me, despite being a diehard Alison Mosshart devotee) and the beautiful Josh T. Pearson’s new record, as well as the new one from Grinderman.  I am old-ly obsessed with Nico’s ‘The Marble Index’ and the always spring-like Cat Power.  I want to be her running through the field on the ‘You Are Free’ inside cover.

The last gig I went to was to see PJ Harvey at the Troxy.  It goes without saying that she was incredible and that her latest album is extraordinary.  The Troxy (my first visit) is also pretty cool, and I enjoyed an adventure at the Hoxton Hotel that included late-night macaroni cheese.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire