lundi 19 septembre 2011

In praise of… Linda McCartney

I am full of love for Linda.  I still find it hard to believe she is not with us.

I have always loved her photographs, and ‘Linda McCartney’s 60s’ has long been one of my favourite visual art books.  Her pictures of bands and artists from this time are so wonderfully natural and relaxed – I love how she managed to make people like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison look so normal.  As (I think!) Andy Warhol said, the best portrait photographs fall into one of two categories –ordinary people doing extraordinary things, or famous people doing normal things.  Linda nailed this concept better than anyone else.

She was also unfairly maligned for her musical endeavours – I think she had a sweet voice and I just love the fact that Wings was a lovely project precisely because Paul and Linda wanted to be together.  Let’s also remember that she made a wicked veggie sausage.

My favourites, though, are her family photos.  Obviously one of Linda’s greatest achievements was to have had such a beautiful life and family, and she combined this with her great creative talent.

We should all be so lucky.


The lady herself.

My favourite of Linda’s ‘at home’ photographs.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire