vendredi 7 septembre 2012

True Romance, Tony Scott

True Romance is one of my favourite films of all time.  I have watched it repeatedly, on videotape when I was a student and in more recent years on a replacement DVD.  An ex-boyfriend and I used to quote it at one another endlessly.  Alabama Whitman remains one of my all-time fashion icons.  Only the other day, I posted a photograph of Clarence and Alabama to my Pinterest page –and the image still holds up as incredibly cool, even today.

I still have a copy of the script, in paperback format – it came free with Empire magazine when the film came out, and I have kept it ever since.  I was way too young to see it at the cinema – it came out when I had just turned 12, and was rated a very violent and sexy 18.  However, I had seen the cool-looking pictures of Clarence and Alabama and I was obsessed.  So, instead I bought the special edition of Empire magazine and read the script to myself, repeatedly.  In fact, I read whole passages of it into a tape recorder in different voices, so that I could listen to it as if it was a radio play.

The introduction to the script included an interview with Quentin Tarantino (the writer) and Tony Scott (the director, who very sadly died recently).  Together they explained how, in his version, Scott had changed the ending to Tarantino’s script – without wanting to ruin it for you if you haven’t already seen this gorgeous classic, he wanted to give the characters a happy ending.  Just because he loved them so much.  Tarantino was sceptical but eventually agreed that it was the right thing to do.

I could not agree more, and for this I will always be grateful to Tony Scott.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire