vendredi 24 mai 2013

That’s SO Unlike Me!


This is a sentence I can often be heard to utter, usually when I have done something silly and/or careless.  I have been forced to admit that – as I am to be found uttering it so often – it may in fact not be true after all.

When I left a bag of presents on a train at Reading station: ‘but that’s SO unlike me – I’m always so careful with my things!’ I cried as the train pulled away, possibly stamping my foot.

When my handbag was stolen in my favourite bar, in a bizarre combination of mugging/distraction/weirdness: ‘but that’s SO unlike me – I never let my bag out of my sight!’.

Whenever I have a dreadful hangover: ‘but that’s SO unlike me – I hardly ever drink too much these days!’.  Ahem.

I caught myself saying it at Istanbul airport, juggling bags, passport and tickets and trying to find the cash for my visa – a circus of disorganisation and dropping things all over the place.  Then, halfway through, I twigged and burst out laughing.

I am disaorganised, messy and frequently drunk.  These are not good traits but they are very, very like me.  If you catch me saying otherwise, you have my permission to slap me.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire