samedi 31 août 2013

Memory Map: Istanbul


I have only been to Istanbul once (so far) and it was only a few months ago, so I am not remotely qualified to talk about it.  However, it left an indelible impression and I have seldom, if ever, loved a place more on first visit.

I went with my best friend and we were apprehensive – we got off the plane tired and wary, managed to screw up our visas at the airport.  We had come on a whim, inspired by things we wanted to leave behind.  We felt meek, worried…

Two hours later I was speaking Turkish and we both felt more at home than we have felt anywhere else.  Istanbul is a kind city, despite it all.

Snapshots: a secret sun-drenched courtyard off the Grand Bazaar; lying naked on a hot stone at night, staring up at the stars cut into the roof of the Cemberlitas hammam, bathing in hot water and the history of thousands of women; surrounded by cats in an alleyway; sitting on the hotel roof terrace as the city wakes up around me, call to prayer ringing in my ears…

I will write about Istanbul more and I will go there again.

2 commentaires:

  1. I can't wait to go to Instanbul someday and just eat all day.

    Also I'm not insane. I am sick today so I'm becoming one with the internet. I like your blog and am catching up.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I don't think I have ever fallen in love with a place like I did Istanbul - cannot recommend enough. We ate baklava approximately once an hour.

    I love your comments, thank you!! xxx

    RépondreSupprimer