jeudi 12 septembre 2013

Pop is a subjective term.


Writing recently about how everyone seems to say that Gemini Rising is 'weird' or 'different', when I thought that I had written a pretty normal book, I was reminded of one of my all-time favourite albums.


Now, I wouldn't dare to compare myself to PJ Harvey - god, that woman is so incredible I'm not convinced she is even human - but I was reminded of something she once said (sadly, not in person on a rooftop in Brooklyn at one in the morning...).  When she made her album Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, she set out to make a 'shiny, shimmery, pretty' pop album.  She wanted to make it as pop, as un-difficult, as she possibly could.

The result was, in my opinion, one of the top-five most beautiful albums of all time.  It's debatably her 'easiest' album, but it's still hardly easy listening.  'Pop' is a subjective term - it's certainly not pop music as a lot of people know it.  But, to her, it's her pop album.  To me, by book is very, very normal.


1 commentaire:

  1. People are calling your book weird? Gemini Rising is different because it stands out from heaps of garbage YA books. It's a shame that weird and different seem to be losing some meaning lately because weird is one of my favorite words and I'm going to continue using it. Your book may be weird and different to some and seem the usual to you but take it all as a compliment because people are thinking and weird and different is usually a good thing:)

    RépondreSupprimer