dimanche 13 septembre 2015

But it was once so easy.

I wasn't expecting an emotional moment in the kitchen at 10 o'clock this morning, while making tea and scrambled eggs.  I certainly wasn't expecting it to be due to Radio 2, playing absent-mindedly in the background - Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs, FFS.  Surely nobody expects this.  I mean, maybe all those people who write in saying things like "I want to say thank you to my husband Geoff - we've been together since 1978 and he's my best friend" or "please say congratulations to our daughter Laura, who is marrying the love of her life this weekend" - maybe they're regularly having Radio 2-based emotional epiphanies on a Sunday morning, but somehow I doubt it.*

Anyway.  I was making scrambled eggs when I heard a song I haven't heard in at least 25 years, since I was a tiny child.  It was 'On My Own' by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald.  I have a weird love for Michael McDonald because my parents were both big fans of his during my 80s childhood.  The internet tells me that this song came out in 1986, when I was 5.  I probably haven't heard it again since the 80s, but I was surprised to find that I still knew every word.  And now I was an adult, the words made me cry.

It was the strangest combination, suddenly, out of nowhere.  Childhood memories of innocently singing along in the back seat of my parents' car, while they played this on the tape deck.  So many divorces and break-ups in my family in the intervening years...  And now the words hit me as an adult, more pertinent now than ever: 'now we're up to talking divorce, and we weren't even married... no one said it was easy, but it was once so easy... this wasn't how it was supposed to end, I wish that we could do it all again...'

It felt like a very private moment, all mine.  I pulled myself together.  I brought my boyfriend tea and scrambled eggs in bed, where he said: 'God, I haven't heard that song in years... it actually made me a bit teary'.

So I suppose it's just that a good song will do that to us all.

(I have since discovered today that the video contains some amazing acting and an even more amazing red jumpsuit that I really wish I owned.)



*If you have not heard this show, I promise you it is truly terrible.  But I really like a slushy power ballad on a Sunday morning (of which there are many, interspersed with messages from callers dedicating said slushy power ballads to their loved ones).  Although I listen to it whilst making breakfast every Sunday morning, I do not in any way recommend it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire