samedi 23 janvier 2016

But I know what I like.

It’s retro of me, I know – but I love an iPod shuffle.  I like to call it iPod iChing: sometimes seeing what comes up, which random songs I stick with and which random songs I skip, tells me great truths about myself and the world.  Or something.  Kind of.

Yesterday, on a train, I found myself gravitating towards unexpected choices.  It helped me unravel my mood.  Really.

So, Buckets of Rain came on.  I nearly skipped it.  I’m only a very casual Bob Dylan fan.  ‘Fan’ might even be pushing it.

I’ve always thought of this as a very throwaway song, for some reason.  Maybe it’s all that ‘buckets coming out of my ears’ stuff.  If I want to listen to something like this, I would always go for You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go*, which I have always thought of us a similar but very superior song.

Anyway, I didn’t skip it, and I was struck for the first time what a really, truly sweet song it is.  It made me smile to myself on the train, and listen to it again and again in a row, and then finally listen to all of Blood on the Tracks.  I had actually forgotten how good that album is, I hadn't listened to it in years.  Turns out, I love it.

I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery

When I got home and was Googling about it (obviously), I came upon this version.  I can already hear the consternation of the purists.  Sorry.  I don’t expect you all care for The Divine Miss M.  In fact, I would scarcely have imagined that Bob himself would, either – until I heard it on good authority that they ‘got to first base’ in the back of a Cadillac…  But it makes me feel very happy.





* For some reason, for a long time, I always thought this song was called You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When *I* Go.  Which would surely make it the most outrageously passive-aggressive song ever written, and probably says terrible things about me.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire