vendredi 14 octobre 2016

For us to dream.

A good week for culture.

Not least because Bob Dylan has won the Nobel Prize for Literature.  For some reason, this is something that speaks directly to me and I feel a weird sense of slight ownership over - no idea why, but judging from The Social Media, a lot of my friends feel the same.  He means a lot to a lot of us, basically.  Good reason to give him the prize.  His words are special.

So, on Monday night I went to the Royal Festival Hall and got to be in the same room as the ACTUAL Louis Theroux.  As predicted he is tall, well dressed and very erudite.  Bonus Adam Buxton, too.

Tuesday night I went to the Barbican to see the Michael Clark Company.  This was a genuine revelation.  I was only vaguely familiar with Michael Clark's work, and it was one of those great events that I never would have gone to if not for my friend buying the tickets and inviting me along.  Sometimes the best kind of nights.  The dancers were incredible (what the human body can do blows my mind), but it was also surprisingly moving - music by Erik Satie, Patti Smith and then a tribute to David Bowie.  Really incredible.

I got home on Wednesday to the most bonkers, generous and wonderful present from my friend Neil. A huge, flat cardboard box that turned out to be A PLACE FOR US TO DREAM.  Vinyl, limited edition, signed - a 4-volume box set of 20 years' worth of Placebo, with a photo book so beautiful it made me cry.  Twenty years of my life and friendship, right there.  Unbelievable.

I have rarely felt so lucky to have the friends I have, lately.  I don't want to go into some 'hashtag blessed', my-friends-are-the-best-yes-better-than-your-friends smug outpouring.  I'm sure we all feel the same way about our own friends - I hope so, anyway.  But lately I have been feeling the value of great friends old and new, that's all.

In between times, lately I have been listening to The Cure a lot, rereading my beloved Patti Smith, living quietly, eating healthily, feeling inspired.  These are the things that are good in life.


1 commentaire: